Are you moving away for university? Leaving home and heading off to university can be a nerve wracking and incredibly exciting process. From new experiences and meeting new people to the scary prospect of living on your own for the first time, there is certainly a lot to think about. Fortunately, Kevin’s Vans can make the process a little easier with the help of our small removals service and this easy list of everything you will need for university.
First Things First
Before moving away to university, you should find out exactly what your accommodation provides, and what it does not provide. Whether you are moving into halls, or a flat with other students, there are a number of things that may be provided for you. For example, some places will provide a bin and bedside lamp etc. while other places may expect you to bring your own. Contact your landlord in advance to ensure that you only bring what you need for your new home away from home.
Everything You Need for Your Bedroom
When moving away for university, there are a number of essentials you will need for your bedroom to ensure that you can get a good night’s sleep (or at least a good nap). You will need:
- A duvet and pillows – it is best to buy a double duvet, even if you only have a single bed in halls, chances are you will have a double bed in your future flats/student houses.
- Bed linen – bed sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases (at least 2 or 3 sets).
- Doorstop – this will allow you to keep your door open when you first move in, making it easy to meet your flatmates and make new friends.
- Hangers – while a couple may be provided, chances are you will need a few more hangers for all your clothes.
- Ear plugs – yes, there will be some nights where you actually will want to sleep, and a pair of ear plugs will come in very handy!
Whether you have your own en-suite bathroom, or if you are sharing, there are a few bathroom essentials you will need at university:
- First aid kit – the basics should be enough, some plasters and pain killers as well as any medicine you may need.
- Shower essentials – shower gel, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser…
- Straighteners, hair dryer etc. should you require them.
- Bath mat, bath towels and hand towels.
- Toilet brush – this may be provided if you share a bathroom.
- Laundry bag or basket – whether you are doing washing at home or at university, it is handy to have a laundry bag which is easy to carry as your washing machine will likely be a walk away.
All You Need for Your Kitchen
While take away food and pizza can be very tempting, there will be times where you decided to cook, so you will require:
- A plate and a bowl (bring a few of these if you plan of having friends round for dinner)
- Cutlery – a couple of sets in case they go missing.
- Utensils – wooden spoon, spatula, colander, scissors etc.
- Chopping knifes and a chopping board.
- Casserole dish – pasta bakes are a university staple.
- Baking tray.
- A couple of pots and pans.
- Tupperware or sandwich bags for leftovers.
- Tea towels.
- Glasses and Mugs.
- Cleaning stuff – sponges, washing up liquid, cleaning detergent for clothes…
Other Essential Items
As well as some of the basics for your bathroom, bedroom and kitchen, there are some other essentials you will need if you are moving away for university.
- Stationery and note books.
- Diary – to keep track of exams, classes and deadlines etc.
- Electronics – laptop, phone, charging cables, headphones…
- Some form of ID – a passport or drivers licence will be required for nights out.
- Bank card
- CV and references – handy if you are looking for a part time job.
- Clothes horse – for drying your clothes as the tumble dryer can be quite expensive.
Don’t forget to check out our ultimate university checklist for even more tips and advice for making your big move!
Kevin’s Vans Can Help You with Moving Away for University
No matter where you may be moving away for university, getting all your belongings from home to university in one go can be a real challenge. With limited room in the car, you may find yourself having to leave behind some beloved belongings. Fortunately, Kevin’s Vans can help you with our student removals service. With Kevin’s Vans, you can removal all your belongings with ease, ensuring that you can bring everything you need and want for the exciting year ahead at university. Get in touch today to find out more about how we can help you.